Quality over quantity creates a comfortable oasis of culture, fun, and caring neighbors.
A quick look around Waverly’s rural setting may indicate not much changed since it was settled around 1835. That assumption is correct when it comes to appreciating history and loving one’s neighbors. What merits a closer look is what has grown from those two values – a culture unlike any town, much less any its size.
A small community in the corner of Chambers, Lee, and Tallapoosa Counties in central east Alabama, Waverly has a population of less than 200. The town is within a 15-minute drive west to Lake Martin or southeast to the bustling college town of Auburn and neighboring Opelika. Because of that, it’s a cultural mecca without the bright lights of town yet still feels very close. Lifelong residents live alongside former professors, artists, and entrepreneurs drawn to the spirit of curiosity that universities encourage. It’s a good mix of people focused on progress alongside preservation.
The Community Club
If there’s a fun event happening in Waverly, chances are The Community Club is involved. A group of residents committed to fostering fellowship among neighbors and extending a warm welcome to visitors, the club hosts numerous events and fundraisers that keep people connected. Visit Waverly Community Club’s Facebook page for more information about the group and the events calendar for details about community gatherings.
Town of Waverly Timeline
1835-ishOne of the first settlers of Waverly was B. B. Patrick, who moved here and put up a store.
1853The town name, Waverly, first appears on a map, although the town had the nickname of Pea Ridge until the 1870s.
1856On February 5 of that year, Henry H. Eatman became the town’s first federally appointed postmaster for its first post office.
1871In March of that year, the town began to take on new life with the completion of a 20-mile section of the Savannah and Memphis Railroad to Waverly from Opelika.
1911On February 9 of that year, the Town of Waverly was incorporated in Chambers County.
1929 through 1933Waverly, situated in the corner of three agricultural counties, thrived mainly on business with farmers. As agriculture dwindled and The Great Depression hit, many people moved to larger towns for jobs.
1933 through 1999For several decades, Waverly remained a little town on U.S. Highway 280, the Florida Short Route, with a couple of tiny general stores, a pulpwood yard, and the hub of the town, the Waverly Post Office.
2000U.S Highway 280 bypassed the center of Waverly. That may seem a negative moment to commemorate because many towns suffer economically when the traffic is diverted from the business district. Waverly, having few businesses dependent on drive-by traffic, benefitted when the road was relocated.
2001Waverly residents were so happy when the large volume of traffic no longer ran through town, the residents “had a party in the street” about it, and The Old 280 Boogie was born. The town sponsored the Boogie for over a decade until it grew too large to remain a free, middle-of-town event and decided for safety reasons not to continue closing the street for the day. Standard Deluxe, the local screen print shop and music venue, stepped up and began hosting The Boogie, now held twice a year in the spring and fall.
Waverly has celebrated the opening of several new businesses alongside a few longtime favorites, and we welcome visitors and new residents to experience our easy atmosphere and thoughtful, grassroots growth.
Waverly’s Faith Community
of Lee County
13099 US Highway 280 West
Mt. Traveler Missionary
15160 Lee Road 188